COVID-19: Kyambogo University Announces Reopening Dates, Issues Tough Guidelines To Students

COVID-19: Kyambogo University Announces Reopening Dates, Issues Tough Guidelines To Students

By Frank Kamuntu

Kampala: Following Presidential approval to reopen schools for finalists students, Kyambogo University has set October 17th as the reopening dates for final year students in their learning centres of Bushenyi and Soroti.

READ ALSO: Prof. Katunguka Accuses MUK, MUBS Of Causing Unrest At Kyambogo University

According to the statement seen by TheSpy Uganda, the teaching will resume on 19th October and it will last for only four weeks ending on 13th November and then the final exams from 16th to 29th November for a period of two weeks.

See Dates In Summary

  • Reopening date: Saturday, October 17, 2020.
  • Teaching commences: October 19, 2020
  • Teaching ends: November 13, 2020
  • Exams begin: November 16, 2020
  • Exams end: November 29, 2020

READ ALSO: Kyambogo University In Hot Soup, To Cough Shs162m For By-election

The finalists who are expected to come to complete their semester two are 11,943 students based on enrolled figures for semester 1, 2019/2020 academic year.

These include; PhD 3rd-year students, all masters programs – 2nd years, first-year post graduate diploma programs, all Bachelor’s degree programs finalists, 2nd-year bachelor of teacher Education, 2nd year Bachelor of Education, all 2nd-year diploma programs, all 2nd years certificate program and all 1st-year certificate programs.

READ ALSO: Exclusive: Makerere University Announces Resumption Of Classes, October 5 2020

The statement adds that about 75 per cent of teaching which includes lecturing, giving assignments and coursework had been completed before the temporary closure and the remaining 25 per cent will be completed in a period of four weeks.

According to Professor Eli Katunguka the Vice-Chancellor Kyambogo, the university has always had three sessions of examinations from 8am-7pm. However, with the current circumstances, they will have only two sessions, one in the morning and another in the afternoon to cater for curfew.

READ ALSO: Full List: Kyambogo, MAK, Gulu, Busitema Govt Admissions For Academic Yr 2020/2021 Unveiled

He emphasized that they will make sure that they strictly follow the guidelines issued by the National Council for Higher Education, SOPs by the health ministry by ensuring that staff and students wear masks, wash hands regularly, sanitizing and maintain social distancing among other preventive measures as seen below;

Prevention

  • All halls of residence will be fumigated
  • Halls will be filled to half capacity
  • All students’ property will be disinfected before accessing halls of residence
  • Hand-washing facilities will be installed at all halls of residence
  • There won’t be team sports during this session
  • Individual physical exercises for fitness purposes will be allowed but recognizing recommended social distancing practices

READ ALSO: Schools Reopening: Makerere University Announces New Opening Dates For Finalists

Management of COVID cases

  • The University medical centre has put in place protocols for referral of suspected COVID 19 cases assisted by the 24-hour ambulances services.
  • Emergency numbers will be displayed on all notice boards for quick action
  • The infection control and prevention committee has been constituted to ensure the implementation of infection control at the medical centre and the University.
  • A screening area for isolation of suspected Covid19 cases has been put in place.

READ ALSO: Just In: 2nd Fire Breaks Out At Makerere University After President Museveni’s Address

Accessdome.com: an accessible web community

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

//graizoah.com/afu.php?zoneid=3565727
%d bloggers like this: