It is against that background that Mr Ismail Mulindwa, the Director Basic and Secondary Education has revealed that the Ministry of Education is considering promoting students in non-candidate classes, should they fail to get a chance to return to school before the end of the academic year.
Mulindwa revealed this today morning in his meeting with the Members of Parliament on the Education Committee, where he noted that the Ministry was set to roll out the enhanced home-study programs for effective learning for other learners that can lead to promoting them to next class in case the situation does not warrant reopening for all.
He also noted that there are some reasons that hinder private schools from re-opening since some schools were doing education as a business adding that the Ministry of Education has been directed to expand the number of secondary schools.
On Tuesday 22, the Ministry released a new school calendar which will roll over into next year, confirming that schools will start on October 15th for the second term and close mid-December and third term will begin mid-January and end in April.
He says they have developed study materials through the National Curriculum Development Centre (NCDC) to cover the rest of the syllabus for each class.
According to Mulindwa, the first phase of continuity of learning under homeschooling was implemented for four weeks in May through radio, Television and printed self-study materials which focused on remedial work to consolidate the concept learners had already covered, before the closing in anticipation that education institutions would re-open soon.
He, however, said that since schools for non-candidates are still closed, the second phase of learning materials that are yet to be distributed will help learners complete the syllabus, something that will see them promoted to other classes.