By Spy Uganda
Kampala: The Ruparelia Group of Companies, commonly referred to as the Ruparelia Group a privately-owned conglomerate in Uganda has joined a couple of other organizations, companies, and Ugandans to shower congratulatory blessings upon the newly elected speaker of 11th parliament Rt.Hon.Jacob Oulanyah.
Omoro County MP, Mr Jacob Oulanyah was declared winner of the elections held during the first sitting of the 11th Parliament at Kololo, Kampala on Monday. Oulanyah got 310 votes, beating Kamuli Woman MP and former Speaker, Ms Rebecca Kadaga who got 197 votes and Kira Municipality MP, Ibrahim Ssemujju became a distant 3rd with 15 votes.
In his victory speech, Mr Oulanyah said pledged to provide good leadership in Parliament and “walk the talk.”
“I am truly humbled to be elected Speaker of this Parliament and I promise to work together with the Deputy Speaker that you will select to repay the confidence you showed when you elected me as Speaker. We are stronger together. If we act in a harmonious way, we will always find a way. And therefore, we have a collective responsibility to work together,” he said.
About Oulanyah’s Congratulator Ruparelia Group
The Ruparelia Group of Companies, commonly referred to as the Ruparelia Group, is a privately-owned conglomerate in Uganda. Sudhir Ruparelia, a wealthy Ugandan businessman, is a shareholder in each of the companies in the Group.
As of February 2018, Ruparelia Group was mainly involved in education, real estate development and management, hotels, resorts, floriculture and broadcasting. Sudhir Ruparelia, the Group’s founder and chairman, is the majority shareholder in the companies that comprise the group. In November 2012, Forbes Magazine estimated his net worth at US$900 million, making him the wealthiest individual in Uganda at the time.
As a young man in England, Sudhir Ruparelia successfully established a number of small businesses before returning to Uganda in the 1980s to take advantage of the improving political and business stability.
As of May 2021, the companies of the Ruparelia Group included but were not limited to the following:
- Premier Recruitment Limited – Kampala
- Crane Management Services Limited – Kampala
- Dehli Public International School-Naguru, Kampala
- Goldstar Insurance Company Limited – Kampala
- Kabira Country Club – Bukoto, Kampala
- Kampala International School Uganda
- Kampala Parents’ School
- Kampala Speke Hotel – Kampala
- Meera Investments Limited – Kampala
- Munyonyo Commonwealth Resort – Munyonyo
- Premier Roses Limited – Entebbe
- Rosebud Limited – Entebbe
- Sanyu FM 88.2 – Kampala
- Speke Apartments Limited – Kampala
- Speke Resort and Conference Center – Munyonyo, Kampala
- Kampala Tourist Hotel – Kampala
- Victoria University Uganda – Kampala
- Vcon Construction Uganda Limited
- The group owns commercial and real estate interests in Rwanda, South Sudan, the United Kingdom, and the United Arab Emirates