By Bariyo Brian Tumuramye
The Premier League transfer window will slam shut at 9am AEDT on Tuesday, and clubs across England are desperately trying to finalise their squads for the season.
And while there’s already been plenty of blockbuster transfers earlier this window, Manchester United’s pursuit of England star Jadon Sancho remains the biggest question mark overshadowing deadline day.
His Borussia Dortmund club placed their own deadline on a deal which United subsequently missed. But the Red Devils have a long history of making late signings, as they did with Harry Maguire from Leicester last year.
“The door is closed, I have said this 27 times!”, Dortmund’s football director Michael Zorc told reporters on Saturday.
Journalist Gary Cotterill in Germany said: “I was expecting two things today – one is that Manchester United will come in with a new bid for Jadon Sancho, probably worth the amount of money that Borussia Dortmund have wanted all along – that £108m asking price.”
He added, “After yesterday’s result, I was thinking that would be even more likely. And the other thing I was expecting to happen today was that Borussia Dortmund would reject that offer out of hand because the deadline they imposed was August 10. They’re frustrated with Manchester United and now don’t want to sell him this window.”
Even if they can’t sign Sancho, there’s plenty going on at the Old Trafford side. Free-agent Edinson Cavani and Porto defender Alex Telles are both travelling to the club for medicals with announcements expected imminently.
Uruguay and former Paris Saint-Germain striker Cavani is expected to join on a one-year contract, with the option to extend for a second season.
Left-back Telles will cost United a reported £15.4 million.
Meanwhile Portuguese right-back Diogo Dalot has moved to AC Milan on loan, after being relegated to the bench since Aaron Wan-Bissaka arrived at United.
– Arsenal midfielder Matteo Guendouzi, 21, is set to move to Bundesliga side Hertha Berlin, likely on loan.
– Everton’s former England gun Theo Walcott is being targeted by his former club Southampton for a loan deal.
– Tottenham are unlikely to sign Inter Milan defender Milan Skriniar, with Inter not expecting a final bid.
– West Ham will hold onto Declan Rice despite Chelsea’s interest, having told the Blues their young star is not for sale.
– Bayern Munich are still interested in Chelsea’s England forward Callum Hudson-Odoi but will target Juventus winger Douglas Costa if a deal cannot be done.
– Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger is extremely likely to move to AC Milan on loan. And Juventus are lining up a bid for the Blues’ left-back Emerson Palmieri, also on loan.
– West Ham midfielder Josh Cullen looks set to join Anderlecht.