By Samuel Opio
2018 FIFA World Cup has seen some big guns being gunned down by under-dogs, Argentina and Germany have had the worst nightmares in this World Cup.
Here’s all the information on which teams dreams of winning the World Cup are already over.
Qualified: Russia, Uruguay
Eliminated: Egypt, Saudi Arabia
Still in contention: Spain, Portugal, Iran
Still in contention: Denmark, Australia
Following Nigeria’s win over Iceland, here is the state of play ahead of the final round of fixtures.
- Qualification is still out of Argentina’s hands.
- Croatia are already through and ALL of the other three nations can advance.
- Argentina MUST beat Nigeria in their crucial final game, but their progress will still depend upon Iceland vs Croatia.
- Iceland currently have a better goal difference than Argentina, so if they defeat Croatia and the win is better than Argentina’s then they will qualify.
- In the World Cup group stage teams’ tiebreakers are decided on goal difference not head-to-head like the Euros.
- The last time Argentina were knocked out of the World Cup at the group stage was 1962.
Eliminated: Costa Rica
Still in contention: Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia
Still in contention: Mexico, Germany, Sweden, South Korea
Qualified: England, Belgium
Eliminated: Tunisia, Panama
Still in contention: Japan, Senegal, Colombia