By Spy Uganda
Kampala: Hon. Gen. Abubaker Jeje Odongo, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Uganda and H.E. Martin Tlapa Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Czech Republic held bilateral discussions today at the Ministry Headquarters in Kampala.
The purpose of the meeting was to strengthen the bilateral cooperation between the two countries.
Hon. Odongo welcomed H.E. Martin Tlapa and his entire Delegation to Uganda and hailed the excellent cordial bilateral relations between Uganda and the Czech Republic. He further noted that these relations continue to grow from strength to strength.
H.E. Martin Tlapa thanked Hon. Gen. Abubaker Jeje Odongo for the warm reception and hospitality accorded to him and his entire delegation. He further reiterated that the relations between and the Czech Republic and Uganda are cordial and progressive.
Tlapa conveyed a special message from H.E. Milos Zeman and the Government of the Czech Republic to H.E. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, the Government of the Republic of Uganda and called for increased cooperation in key sector areas of Health, Peace & Security and Agriculture for the mutual benefit of both countries.
The meeting further deliberated on ways of enhancing economic and development co-operation in key sector areas of Agriculture, Infrastructural Development, Tourism, Defence, Education and Health especially of combating the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The two dignitaries also noted that the Bilateral relations between both countries have tremendous potential and reaffirmed the mutual desire;
• To continue cooperation in the area of Defence and Security based on the existing MoU between both countries.
• To increase the trade volumes between both countries and improve their bilateral trade and strengthen economic cooperation.
• To convene a technical committee meeting for both Uganda and Czech Republic to urgently discuss the challenges of market entry conditions and propose the best way forward to enable Ugandan products to enter Czech Republic.
• Build infrastructure and technical capacity in the area of health, to contribute to the improvement of the health system in Uganda.
• To establish a service center to offer complete solutions with regard to the hospital equipment and other medical devices supplied by the Czech Republic.
• To share and clarify the Uganda investment incentives to the private sector in Czech Republic to enable them to consider investing in Uganda.
• To have more investment from the Czech Republic private sector to utilise opportunities in the sectors of Agriculture value addition that meet the market entry conditions for the European Union (EU).
• To continue exchanges, experience and technical consultation on wildlife conservation.
Both parties agreed to continue having regular consultative meetings to monitor and ensure the implementation of what was agreed in different sectors for the mutual benefit of both countries.