Protests Erupt In DR Congo As Opposition Challenges Election Results

Protests Erupt In DR Congo As Opposition Challenges Election Results

By Spy Uganda Correspondent

In Goma, protesters took to the streets on Sunday in response to the opposition’s call for mobilization against the results of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s presidential election.

President Felix Tshisekedi was declared the winner with over 70% of the vote, according to the country’s election commission in Kinshasa.

However, the preliminary results faced opposition demands and civil society calls for a rerun due to significant logistical issues that raised doubts about the validity of the outcome.

Tshisekedi’s victory was followed by businessman Moise Katumbi with 18%, and Martin Fayulu with 5%. Nobel Peace Prize winner Denis Mukwege, known for treating victims of sexual violence, received less than 1%.

The election witnessed a turnout of more than 40%, with 18 million people casting their votes. The results are now awaiting confirmation by the constitutional court, as stated by election chief Denis Kadima.

The DR Congo has a history of disputed elections that can turn violent, and many of its citizens harbour little trust in the country’s institutions.

Before the results were announced Sunday, opposition candidates, including Katumbi, said they rejected the results and called on the population to mobilize.

The logistical problems included many polling stations either opening late or not opening at all. Materials were sometimes lacking, and many voter cards were rendered illegible due to smudged ink.

Voting in the election had to be extended into a second day, something local observers and civil society organizations have deemed illegal, and parts of the country were still casting ballots five days after election day.

“If a foreign country considers these elections to be elections, there’s a problem,” Fayulu said at a news conference in the capital on Sunday before the results were announced.

“It’s a farce, don’t accept [the results].”

Earlier this week, confrontations broke out between supporters of Fayulu and police officers.

Tear gas was deployed as protesters, who were throwing rocks and barricading themselves inside the opposition headquarters, clashed with law enforcement. an accessible web community

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *