By Denis Turyahebwa
Following the qualification of the National Beach Soccer Team- Sand Cranes to the 2020 AFCON Beach Soccer Finals that will be hosted by Senegal this year, TheSpy Uganda brings you some interesting facts about the sport in Uganda.
The sand cranes qualified after the opponents Ghana who were supposed to face Uganda in the qualifiers withdrew from the competition. Ghana was due to play Uganda over two legs starting with the first fixture at the FUFA Technical Centre, Njeru on 27th March 2021.
CAF, a football governing body on the continent was left with no option but to qualify Uganda automatically to the final tournament of Beach Soccer AFCON.
The FUFA Communications Director Ahmed Hussein Confirmed the qualification news communicated by CAF.
Below Are The 16 Facts About Beach Soccer In Uganda;
1. Beach Soccer was introduced in Uganda in 2009
2. National beach Soccer League (Men) started in 2010 at Lido Beach Entebbe
3. Uganda Beach Soccer Association (UBSA) became a member of FUFA in 2012
4. The Uganda Women Beach Soccer League started in 2014
5. Uganda has close to 100 Beach soccer clubs (League and non-League teams)
6. Uganda Sand Cranes was formed in 2014 and made their maiden international bow in the same year against Zanzibar
7. Deo Mutabazi is the Chairman of the Uganda Beach Soccer Association (UBSA).
8. Sand Cranes featured in AFCON Beach Soccer qualifiers- 2015, 2018 and 2020.
9. Sand Cranes has featured in the Copa Dar es Salaam tournament since 2017
10. Uganda has 4 FIFA Beach Soccer referees
11. Uganda has a CAF Beach Soccer Instructor Ali Mwebe.
12. Uganda has 30 qualified National Coaches
13. FIFA Beach Soccer referee Ivan Kintu has officiated at two AFCON Beach Finals (2016 and 2018)
14. FUFA President is the Chairman of the CAF Futsal and Beach Soccer Committee
15. Three Ugandans are on the Africa Beach Soccer Union
16. Uganda has an off-shore beach soccer pitch at FUFA Technical Centre Njeru.