Min. Of Education Suspends Reopening Of Schools Over COVID-19 Lockdown As Cases Rise To 55

Min. Of Education Suspends Reopening Of Schools Over COVID-19 Lockdown As Cases Rise To 55

Accessdome.com: an accessible web community

By Spy Uganda

The Ministry of Education and Sports has announced that schools, universities and tertiary institutions will not open  as earlier announced by government,  as a result of the extension of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown for  more 21 days.

First Lady Janet Kataha Museveni, who is also the education Minister, said last week that primary schools were scheduled  to reopen on April 27, while Universities and tertiary institutions were to open on May 5th, 2020.

However, during his 10th national address about Coronavirus, President Yoweri Museveni announced that the COVID-19 lockdown had been extended for another 21 days  ending on May 6th, 2020,  as the Ministry of Health monitors the health situation in the country.

The extension means  that the reopening dates for schools and universities cannot be met, hence the Ministry suspended the same until further notice. 

Patrick Muyinda, the Ministry Spokesperson, said that another date for reopening schools will be announced at a later date.

“The Minister will issue another statement revealing when schools will open again. We all know that the President extended the lockdown for the good of the entire country.”

He added that the Ministry is also working out ways to see how students can continue studying using online platforms, TV and radio stations and will announce a new school program that will be followed when the COVID-19 lockdown is lifted. 

Statement from Min. of Health about the new COVID-19 case

Meanwhile, the number of confirmed Coronavirus infections in Uganda has risen to 55, after the Ministry of Health registered a new case on Tuesday night.

According to a statement released by the Ministry, the ‬new case is a 38-year-old Ugandan male, a cargo transporter who arrived from Kenya via Malaba on April 12, 2020‬.

However, the MoH officials also  discharge 8 people who had responded to medication for COVID-19

Accessdome.com: an accessible web community

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

//graizoah.com/afu.php?zoneid=3565727
%d bloggers like this: