By Spy Uganda
Kampala: Following the recent National address on COVID-19 by President Yoweri Museveni, Boda-bodas are to resume carrying passengers and luggage on Monday July 27th, 2020.
However, the President asked the Ministry Of Works and Transport and the Ministry of Security to set Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all Boda-boda operators nationwide before they resume carrying passengers.
In addition to President’s directives to Ministry of Works, Cabinet on sat on Saturday and set new reforms that will streamline and regulate the operation of Boda-bodas specifically within Kampala Capital City.
The regulations include;
- All Boda Bodas must operate at gazetted Boda Boda stages. The list of these stages and maps can be obtained from KCCA website or Ward Administrators at every KCCA Division. Each gazetted stage has a unique reference code and this will be its name.
- All Boda Boda operators must be registered at any of the gazetted stages and this shall be their address to enable contact tracing in case of Covid19 infection. Boda Boda operators are free to register at any gazetted stage of their choice.
- All Boda Boda App companies and associations shall share the register of all their members (after registering every member to a gazetted stage).
- All Boda Bodas who do not operate or belong to the App. Companies/associations shall register with KCCA through their stage leadership. Forms can be downloaded from KCCA website or picked from Ward Administrators at every KCCA Division.
- No Boda Boda operator shall pay any fees to anybody to register on any gazetted stage of choice. Anybody soliciting a bribe should be reported to the relevant authorities.
Cabinet approved Boda Boda Free Zone where All Boda Bodas are prohibited from entering/accessing. The Boda Boda Free Zone will run along the following boundaries;
Wampewo Roundabout- Jinja Road to Kitgum House junction – Access Road – Mukwano Road to Clock Tower –Kafumbe Mukasa Road –Kisenyi Road –Mackay Road- Kyaggwe Road- Watoto Church-Bombo Road – Wandegeya – Hajji Musa Kasule Road- Mulago roundabout- Kamwokya junction – Sturrock Road – Prince Charles Drive- Lugogo Bypass–Jinja Road- Wampewo Roundabout.
KCCA added that it is procuring Boda Boda Stage Signs to mark the gazetted stages permanently and Traffic signs to demarcate the Boda Boda Free Zone as approved by Cabinet.