By Andrew Irumba
Jinja: A raging fire destroyed property worth millions of shillings after burning up a students’ dormitory at Wairaka College in Jinja on Saturday morning.
Sources at the school reveal that by the time fire gutted the building the students were in class attending night preps. They were however alerted by a cloud of thick smoke that was emanating from the dormitory that housed about 60 students. By the time police fire brigade officers reached the scene most of the students’ property had been burnt to ashes. Collins Agaba, the Kiira Region Police Fire Officer confirms that the fire resulted from a short circuit.
Stephen Isabirye, a resident of the gutted Albertine dormitory said that “We were in night preps when a huge smoke suddenly erupted, actually, most of us thought it was garbage burning only to realize later that one of our dormitories was on fire,” he says. Hildah Namutosi, the school head teacher, says that the buildings at the school are very old and the fire might have resulted from poor wiring. James Modi, a teacher at the school says that the fire outbreak was preceded by rounds of power interruptions.