Remains Of Rwanda Genocide Suspect Bizimana Found In DR Congo

Remains Of Rwanda Genocide Suspect Bizimana Found In DR Congo

Accessdome.com: an accessible web community

By Spy Uganda

The remains a former Rwandan defense minister Augustin Bizimana, who is believed to have died or been murdered in 2000,  years after he was indicted on genocide, murder and rape charges, have been recovered in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Bizimana was one of the top suspects wanted over the country’s 1994 genocide,  but Rwandan officials reveal that his remains were identified in a grave in the Republic of Congo, according to a  United Nations war crimes prosecutor.

Serge Brammertz said Bizimana, who was indicted on 13 charges, including genocide, murder and rape, is believed to have died in Pointe Noire, in Congo, in 2000.

“Bizimana was alleged to be responsible for the murders of former Prime Minister Agathe Uwilingiyimana and 10 Belgian United Nations peacekeepers, and for the murder of Tutsi civilians” in five Rwandan regions, Brammertz said in a statement on Friday.

He is believed to have died around August 2000, “based on the conclusive identification of Bizimana’s remains in a gravesite in Pointe Noire, the Republic of the Congo,” the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (MICT) said in a statement.

The discovery came shortly after the arrest  of Felicien Kabuga, another architect of the disastrous Rwanda genocide, who was hiding in a Paris suburb.

Kabuga is accused of bankrolling and arming the ethnic Hutu fighters who killed 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus over 100 days.

Beside Kabuga, also arrested is another of a handful of prominent suspects from the Rwandan genocide who had been on the run for more than 20 years.

On Wednesday, in his first appearance in public in more than two decades, Kabuga was brought into a French courtroom in a wheelchair, dressed in jeans and a blue jumper and wearing a face mask.

The court’s three judges are due to decide whether to transfer Kabuga to the UN tribunal – adjourned the hearing to May 27. Kabuga’s lawyers said he wanted a trial in France and accused the country’s chief public prosecutor of trying to rush the legal process.

But Brammertz said a request had already been launched for Kabuga’s transfer into UN custody and that he could initially be held in The Hague rather than Africa because of Coronavirus travel restrictions.

Kabuga has been indicted by UN prosecutors for genocide and incitement to commit genocide, among other charges. He is accused of bankrolling and arming the ethnic Hutu militias which killed 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus over 100 days.

The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda conducted 50 trials before closing its doors in 2015.

Brammertz is the prosecutor of a successor UN court with dual offices in Arusha, Tanzania and The Hague, Netherlands, that continues to function for remaining suspects and appeals.

Brammertz said his office continues to pursue Protais Mpiranya, the former commander of the Presidential Guard of the Rwandan Armed Forces, and five other Rwandan suspects, who all participated in the genocide.

Accessdome.com: an accessible web community

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: