By Spy Uganda Correspondent
USA: The Trump administration has received fresh court instructions blocking an executive order by the US government that would have effectively banned TikTok in the country.
The order “WILL NOT GO INTO EFFECT, pending further legal developments,” Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said in a directive issued Monday. The order would have gone into effect after 11:59 pm ET on Thursday.
But on October 30, a federal district court judge in Pennsylvania issued a preliminary injunction blocking the order, citing the administration’s “hypothetical” national security concerns. The administration appealed the injunction on Thursday.
The injunction is part of a lawsuit filed in mid-September by several TikTok creators who argued that a ban on the app would significantly harm their business and limit their audience growth, as well as restrict their freedom of expression on the platform.
The TikTok creators’ lawsuit is one of several legal challenges to Trump’s efforts to ban the viral video app from the US.
Separately, in August TikTok sued over the executive order, which sought to ban all transactions between TikTok and ByteDance, its Chinese-based parent company, arguing there was no due process and that the Trump administration lacked evidence that the app posed a national security risk.
In September, a federal district court judge blocked the Trump administration from banning new downloads of TikTok in the US as part of the same executive order. The administration appealed that ruling to the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit in October.
Trump also issued a second executive order in August seeking to force ByteDance to sell TikTok’s US assets to American investors, based on a national security review conducted by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, or CFIUS, an agency within the Commerce Department.
That order prompted a chaotic race among US investors, including Oracle, Microsoft, and Walmart, to buy TikTok also in time for a November 12 deadline, though it allowed CFIUS to grant TikTok a 30-day extension.
Earlier this week, TikTok asked the DC appeals court to intervene and invalidate the Trump administration’s divestiture order, saying it hadn’t heard from the government for weeks with any feedback on its proposals or its request for an extension.
READ ALSO: President Trump Threatens To Ban TikTok
“For a year, TikTok has actively engaged with CFIUS in good faith to address its national security concerns, even as we disagree with its assessment,” TikTok said in a statement. “In the nearly two months since the President gave his preliminary approval to our proposal to satisfy those concerns, we have offered detailed solutions to finalize that agreement but have received no substantive feedback on our extensive data privacy and security framework.”