Rome, Italy Ban TikTok After 10-year-old Girl Dies In Blackout Game

Rome, Italy Ban TikTok After 10-year-old Girl Dies In Blackout Game

Accessdome.com: an accessible web community

By Spy Uganda Correspondent

Italy has blocked popular video-sharing app TikTok for certain users following the death of a 10-year-old girl who took part in the so-called “blackout challenge” on the network.

READ ALSO: We Waited For You To Fall, You Can’t Survive Jail: Troubled Trump Faces Fresh Court Orders Over TikTok Ban

Italian attorneys have opened an investigation into the Chinese service after the girl died at Palermo hospital in Sicily, specifically they are investigating whether there was possible “incitement to suicide.” Rome has also temporarily blocked access to the service for people who are unable to verify their age.

The girl’s father told La Repubblica newspaper that “we didn’t know she was participating in this game. We knew that our (daughter) went on TikTok for dances, to look at videos. How could I imagine this atrocity?”

READ ALSO: Tit For Tat: China Launches Sanctions Against US Firms After Attacks On TikTok, Wechat

The so-called “blackout challenge” refers to wrapping a scarf or similar object around the neck to restrict oxygen to the brain, which creates a temporary high.

So far, the child’s death has been met with a chorus of outrage across both the Italian public and political domains.

“Social networks can’t become a jungle where anything is allowed,” proclaimed Licia Ronzulli, president of Italy’s parliamentary commission on child protection.

READ ALSO: Stop Your Bogus Threats, Shut Us Down Than Force Us To Sale Our Firm To You-TikTok Blast Trump

In a statement, the Italian Data Protection Authority noted that it would, “block the social media network [TikTok]” until February 15, by which point it demanded TikTok would have to implement new regulations on age verification.

In response, TikTok issued its own statement, saying that it could not locate any information on its service that may have encouraged the young girl to take her own life, although it was helping Italian authorities to look into whether there was any such “incitement to suicide.”

READ ALSO: After Huawei, TikTok Says Trump Administration Plans Chinese Tech Crackdown

“The safety of the TikTok community is our absolute priority, for this motive we do not allow any content that encourages, promotes or glorifies behaviour that could be dangerous,” a TikTok spokesperson has been widely quoted as saying.

This is not the first time that TikTok has been in the firing line of Italian authorities.

READ ALSO: President Trump Threatens To Ban TikTok

Back in December 2020, Italy’s data protection agency filed a lawsuit against the network, accusing it of a “lack of attention to the protection of minors,” pointing out that children are able to sign up to the app without having provided sufficient age verification.

Accessdome.com: an accessible web community

Accessdome.com: an accessible web community

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

//graizoah.com/afu.php?zoneid=3565727
%d bloggers like this: